Cavities are caused by tooth decay, a disease that damages and breaks down teeth. Untreated tooth decay can lead to pain, loss of teeth, and loss of confidence.Children with tooth pain cannot eat and sleep properly.
• It is much simpler and more affordable to prevent tooth decay than to repair a decayed tooth.
• It is very important to learn your child how to properly clean teeth, what are healthy eating habits.
• Cleaning helps remove plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that builds up on teeth.
• Teeth should be brushed twice a day and flossed once a day.
• Help your child start good eating habits. Try to limit between-meal snacks
• If your child is thirsty or needs a snack, avoid cookies, candy and other sweet or sticky foods. Instead, offer water or healthy foods, such as fruit, carrot sticks or wheat crackers. Save sweets for mealtime, when the mouth makes more saliva to help rinse out food particles.
• Fluoride is a mineral that is very effective in protecting teeth from decay.
• When a child’s teeth are still forming ,fluoride works by making tooth enamel more resistant to the acid that causes tooth decay. Fluoride also helps repair areas where the acid attacks have already begun.
• Fluorides may be found in toothpastes, mouth rinses and professional fluoride applied in the dental office.
• Regular dental visits are essential to keeping a healthy smile. During the dental visit , the dentist checks the child’s mouth for tooth decay and growth patterns that may pose a problem in the future.
• Professional dental services, such as regular cleanings, fluoride treatments and the application of sealants that prevent tooth decay, can save money and reduce the need for further dental treatment.
Recent research found that children with poor oral health are four times more likely to have below average grades than kids with healthy choppers. there are easy ways to keep tooth pain from getting in the way of learning. brush your child’s teeth yourself until age of 6 and supervise her until age 8. Using a kid’s fluoride mouthwash and noshing on healthy snacks like apples ( which promote the production of saliva, a plaque detergent), can also help.